José María Ezquiaga
URBAN & LANDSCAPE DESIGN
From the very beginning of his professional career, José María Ezquiaga’s work has been linked to the city and to Urban Planning. During recent years, both his academic and his professional interest have been focused on theoretical research and practical integration in projects of the different scales, the geographical and the social, that make up the territory and ultimately, the city. His projects have been the means for experimenting and researching in what refers to the process of creation of the contemporary landscape.
José María Ezquiaga has a PhD in Architecture (1990); he was awarded the “Premio Extraordinario de Doctorado” (Extraordinary Prize of Doctorate) by the Technical University of Madrid (1990), he became an Architect by the “Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid” (Higher Technical School of Architecture of Madrid) (1979) and took a degree in Sociology and Political Science at the Complutense University in Madrid, (1981).
Tenured Professor in the Urbanism Department at the “Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid” (Higher Technical School of Architecture of Madrid) since 1995, with three recognized periods of 6 years of research work.
He’s been a Guest Lecturer at the Universities of: Turin, Rome (La Sapienza), “Instituto Universitario di Architettura di Venezia” (University Institute of Architecture in Venice), Technology of Delft, Dortmund, Oxford Brooks, Oporto, Lisbon, UNAM Mexico, Brasilia, “Nacional de Colombia” (Bogotá and Medellin), Los Andes, La Salle and “Pontificia Universdad Javeriana” in Bogota, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Panamá and Shanghai.
He has collaborated in numerous Masters Degrees and Postgraduate Courses, including the Territory and Urban Policy Master Degree given by Carlos III University in Madrid and the Urban Projecting Master Degree given by Catalonia Polytechnic University.
- “European Urban and Regional Planning Award” granted by the European Council of Spatial Planners, Committee of the Regions European Union, 2012
- “Premio de la XII Bienal Española de Arquitectura y Urbanismo 2013” (Award at the Spanish Biennial on Architecture BEAU 2013).
- “Premio Nacional de Urbanismo 2005” (National Award for Urbanism 2005).
- “Premio de Investigación” de la Bienal Iberoamericana de Arquitectura y Urbanismo 2012 (Research Award at the IberoAmerican Biennial on Town Planning and Architecture BIAU 2012).
- “Premio Europeo Gubbio” (Gubbio European Award) granted by the “Associazione Nazionale Centri Storico-Artistici de Italia”, 2006 y and Mencion de Honor (Honourable Mention) 2012.
- “Premio de Urbanismo del Ayuntamiento de Madrid” (Madrid City Council Urbanism Award) 1986, 1989, 1995 and 1997; “Premio de Investigación del Ayuntamiento de Madrid” (Research Award granted by Madrid City Council) (1990), and “Premio de Urbanismo del Colegio Oficial de Arquitectos de Madrid” (Urbanism Award granted by the Official Institute of Architects in Madrid) (1986, 2011 and 2012).
Selected Publication and Recent Research:
He’s published more than one hundred and fifty essays and research studies in books and specialized magazines in the United States, Germany, Great Britain, France, Italy, Holland, Switzerland, Spain and Latin America.
Head of the Planning Department at the “Gerencia Municipal de Urbanismo” (Urbanism Municipal Agency) in Madrid (1985-88)
- General Director of Urbanism for the Madrid Region (1988-91)
- General Director of Urban Planning and Concertation for the Madrid Region (1991-95)
- President in the Urbanism Commission and a member of the Governing Board of the Architect’s Professional Association of Madrid. (1999-2004)
- He was part of the National Urbanism Experts Commission created by the Ministry of Public Works, Transport and Environment in 1995
- He was also a member of the Urbanism Advisory Board of the Madrid City Council (2005-07)
- Member of the EUROPAN Spain Scientific Committee in 2010-2011