José Manuel Páez
INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES
José Manuel Páez is Master in Telecom Engineering (1982) and Ph D. in Telecom Engineering (1987) both at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM). After working for AEG-TELEFUNKEN (Germany) and ENSA (Spain), he started as Associated Professor at the Telecommunication Engineering School of UPM (ETSIT) in 1987, becoming Full Professor in 1998.
As university professor, he is with the Department of Signals, Systems and Radio-communications (SSR), carrying out his teaching and research tasks in the field of Radio, Signal Processing and Communications and more recently in Smart Homes. He has also held the following academic positions: Academic Secretary at SSR, Deputy Director for Research and Ph. Degree Affairs at ETSIT, Director at ETSIT and currently Vice-Rector for International Relations at UPM.
He has been co-author of more than 100 papers in refereed technical international journals and conferences and co-author of several international patents. He has also been Invited researcher at International Computer Science Institute (ICSI) and Berkeley Wireless Research Centre (BWRC), both institutions linked to University of California at Berkeley (USA), (1999-2000).
Among other positions, Prof. Páez has been:
- Vice-president of LACCEI (Latin America and Caribbean Engineering Institutions) for e-learning
- Member of Executive Committee of ASIBEI (Asociación Iberoamericana de Instituciones de Enseñanza de la Ingeniería)
- Member of Executive Committee of Intern. Relations Commission of Spanish Rector’s Conference
- Promoter, President & Honorary President of Magalhaes Network. Euro-Latinamerican network of Technical Universities
- Director of UPM’s Master in Smart Homes
- Director of Endowment Chair Bancaja Bank at UPM “Young entrepreneurs”
- Director of Endowment Chair Foundation In-nova at UPM “Emerging Sectors”
- Promoter of Research Center for Domotics & Smart Homes at UPM’s Technical Park
- Promoter & UPM coordinator for projects Solar Decathlon ’05, ’07 & ’09 of USA’s DoE
- UPM responsible for Solar Decathlon Europe Competition (2010&2012). 1st EU Prize-2011 in Sustainable Energy Europe
- Member of the Spanish Chapter of Club of Rome
- Member of Future Trends Forum think-tank of Bankinter Bank