According to the main rankings of Smart Cities in the world, made both by private and public organizations, these would be the 5 most intelligent cities in Europe nowadays.
There are different lists, rankings and parameters for measuring Smart Cities’ reputation. For those uninitiated, it might seem that the decisive range when measuring the intelligence of a city, is the number of technological solutions applied to its urban life. But the most important variables have more to do with the living standards, and are the result of a holistic strategy that takes into account many different topics: governance, urban planning, public management, technology, environment, international projection, social cohesion, mobility and transport, human capital, economy, sustainability...
According to the main rankings of Smart Cities in the world, made both by private and public organizations, these would be the 5 most intelligent cities in Europe nowadays:
1. Vienna. The city with the highest life quality in the world is also the best example of a Smart City in Europe. A perfect infrastructure (like the new campus of the University of Vienna and its respect for the environment) and a public mobility system at the forefront of technology, with a fleet of 100% electric buses, are its main strengths.
2. London. An international and recognized brand, and a high number of technological solutions applied to citizens’ daily life, are the most important aspects of the town as a Smart City. In addition, it is one of the cities with the best human capital in the world.
3. Aarhus. This small Danish town is a great example of sustainability. Always at the forefront of technological advances enhancing the life quality of its inhabitants. One of its latest solutions is an intelligent lighting system that signals the presence of a cyclist in an intersection. They also have an Open Data system by which any citizen can downloaded data with information about the city.
4. Luxembourg. This town has no more than 100,000 inhabitants. It does not excel in population, but it excels in transparency and governance. It has an app through which citizens can follow the Council debates, buy tickets for public transport or make a claim. In addition, the entire city has Wi-Fi connection.
5. Zurich. It is the main city in Switzerland, financial engine and cultural center of the country. It is noted for the environment, mobility and efficiency of their transportation systems.
Other cities that should be on this list, due to the efforts made this year for applying Smart Cities solutions, are Spanish towns like Madrid, Malaga and Barcelona; the green area of Geneva, Munich and Malta, with its new Kalkara technology park.